Anyone remember facebook notes? I forgot they existed until recently when I discovered I actually had some, written in 2009. Apparently it was one of those ‘share 25 things about yourself and get all your friends to do the same’. I doubt any of my friends wanted to partake in this tradition after reading my ridiculously cringe attempt to describe my weird self. I could say that these only apply to 18-year-old me, I’ve changed, matured; but that would most certainly be a lie. As we all know, I just am slightly strange and I apologise in advance for this insight into the brain of me.
1. When I was younger, I used to sing Happy Birthday to the clean floor.
2. I was nearly killed by a psycho man with my TV.
3. I wish I was Harry Potter.
4. I like to think I can cook. I probably can’t.
5. I have a tendency to lose things.
6. I love my sister so much and am going to miss her unbelievably when I leave.
7. I believe in fate, everything is a sign or everything happens for a reason.
8. I am extremely scared to go to Australia by myself but amazingly excited.
9. I secretly love really nerdy songs/artists. Such as Aqua. And the Vengaboys.
10. I miss the days when we used to dress up and run around London taking pictures of ourselves and didn’t care what people thought.
11. My aim in life is to go to every country in the world.
12. I am amazed I haven’t crashed yet.
13. Sometimes I prefer being with my family (plus Maya and Valerie). They are one of the only times I feel like I can completely be myself. And I love them lots.
14. I think I have a little bit of OCD.
15. I have a phobia of drowning and when I think about it I kind of choke.
16. Jazz is my favourite kind of music because it makes me happy.
17. I love laughing so much you can’t breathe and you don’t even know what you’re laughing about anymore.
18. I find really weird things funny (the beautiful gay boy who dances to Hairspray on youtube; Michael Taplin’s laugh; many times with my sister and Maya…Italy…Girls on Time)
19. The best feeling ever is dancing in the rain when completely drunk.
20. I love Grace Shellard, Alex Sessions and Harry Kalavazides. I want Julian to dance for me. Harry I love you really no matter how much I make fun of your coat. Alex buy me lunch please.
21. I should be fat.
22. I miss having sleepovers and sitting around the campfire which is really a torch.
23. I wish I could have more parties but I really don’t have enough money to pay for any more broken doors.
24. I tend to tell people to get over it a lot.
25. I want to stay this age forever.
So I obviously didn’t stay 18 forever (this thing called time happened), but I still wholeheartedly agree with every one of these points (minus the going to Australia thing). One of the most hilarious things about discovering this old gem was the comments underneath, and I quote:
‘DANCING IN THE RAIN IN GREENBELT DURNK AND HALF NAKED WITH HOT PEOPLE IS BETTER. AND NO POUR ALMOND INTO HOLEY EGG CUP! LUSM XXXXXXXXXX’
The scary thing about that is it makes total and complete sense to me. In the New Year I might try and compose a 25 things about 24-year-old me and see how they differ. Likelihood is they will actually be even more bizarre. By my experience ridiculousness only increases with age as we care less about what people think of us and more about enjoying every moment, laughing so much you can’t breathe. 18-year-old me got it right.